What do we really want in life. Well, in India, most of the time (till today) our parents answer this question for us. They chose the school we should (well yea..coz at that time we were too busy eating the orange and cola coloured toffees aka “Candies”), they chose the stream we should pursue to make a good career (not trying to sound old, but some of us didn’t have a choice here), graduate and get a great job (after all we don’t want us to be criticised by our parents in front of Uncles and Aunties for not being able to do well in life), get married to a “WELL-SETTLED” person and then do the same things to our kids and the vicious cycle continues.
But, what do we really want.
“Don’t think you’re on the right road just because it’s a well-beaten path.” – Author Unknown
Life speaks to us in many ways, and trust me I am not trying to be philosophical here. I can prove it. Well, think about those times when we are getting “Bhand” (pardon my language, but it makes it real) with our friends and we are in that feeling of “I don’t give a *beep* what the world wants me to do”. We talk about stuff which we are passionate about, thing that we want to do in life. We could be an engineer, MBA in profession, or a doctor, but maybe what we really wanted to do in life was “Play Tennis” or “Become a writer” or “Run a business” or “Just get married and raise kids (I have all respect for he mothers in the world, its a tough job to raise kids like us:P). And trust me “Being Bhand” with friends is just one of the many occasions when life really speaks from within you.
Now, either you will ask me “Then, why don’t we do what we really want?” or if you are idealistic aka practical, you will say “Life is not easy ok, you have to earn money”. Well, first things first, I am not trying to say I am a specialist in life, coz if I would have been, I would have been a billionaire already and spending my life on my yacht, traveling to some exotic country, not sitting 12 hours in front of my computer and still earning thousands by the minute. Well, I am not here to give you “Gyan” about why we don’t do what we are so passionate about doing. We all have our reasons starting from “Laziness – Procrastination – Lack of time – Lack of money, Honey!”.
But, a few tips to “Stay happy, even if your life is not perfect” with a disclaimer that these are my views (and I am a little crazy, like really), so you may or may not like or follow them, no hard feelings and also since I have started a blog, well I got to write something.
1. Stop Cribbing – Look, I agree cribbing or venting out your troubles to someone takes the load off your chest and makes your feel lighter. Agreed. But it depends to a large extent on the person who is listening to you. Let things go yaar, life is too short, apologise if you do wrong, say thank you more often, smile or shut up even when the lava is about to burst out from your head.
2. Always believe that something wonderful is going to happen – Very cliche, I know, but what’s wrong in thinking something that gives us a high for a few moments in a day. How about thinking about good moments which bring a smile to your face and looking into the future in a positive way. Negative soch ke bhi kya kar ledge, so atleast be positive about it.
3. If you can’t do anything positive about it, give it time rather than taking hasty decisions and ruining it.
4. Take out time for your passion – I know, no one has time. But hey, we all take out time to have dinner with someone special, or watch some american sitcom season episode back-to-back coz its easier. Take out some time for yourself even if it means earning a little less money.
5. Look back at the greatest accomplishments in your life and remind yourself about them again and again. Its feels good. I don’t have many accomplishment, infact none, but I am glad how far I have come in life (even if its just age wise :P, people die everyday, atleast I am alive :P)that is something to be grateful about.
So why am I writing about all these above things and making it a long boring read?? WHAT’S MY POINT?
The point is simple. Just be happy in life, no matter what the situation, less money, thankless job, too much work load, sleepless nights, Pain in the ass boss, politics, relationships or whatever, just be happy like a mad person (don’t stress too much on mad, we all are anyways our own special brand of crazy). You have a lot of things to be thankful about in life. Be thankful about them. Smile, laugh, be special, be unique. Hell, this is your life, and you can’t spoil it by being negative or too serious.
As I mentioned earlier, these are my opinions only, you can do whatever you want. But if you have read the entire thing and are reading this line, think about what I have written atleast once.