Everyday I hear at least one person say, “Oh, I wish I could lose some weight”. The immediate response that pops in my brain is “Then go ahead and do it, who’s stopping you?”, but I usually bite my lip and empathise with the person and also because I was one of them complainers, 4 months and 10 kg ago..!!!
Yes, my dears, this is my personal weight loss journey and I am thrilled to share with you the do’s and dont’s if you are really serious about losing weight. But before we start, we need to know some basic rules and answer some questions for ourselves.
1. Are you really serious about losing weight? – Or are you just motivated because you saw a woman wearing a well fitted dress and looking nice or you are just in awe of someone at your workplace who lives an equal stressful life but is still fit with no beer belly? If the answer to any of the above questions is YES, then sorry, you will get over this feeling of wanting to lose weight, give it time, this soon shall pass.
2. You think exercise is the only way to lose weight? – So you have tried one of the following to lose weight like joined aerobics, hit the gym, started couch to 5K exercises, Pilates, yoga, climb mountains etc, but haven’t changed the amount of food you eat or rather now that you are breaking sweat, you don’t mind eating that extra piece of fatty stuff as anyways you can work out a little more tomorrow and burn it out. You think that’s fine? Seriously?
3. Get influenced easily? Glamorous Diet worked on “Ms. XX” or “Mr. XY” and so let me try it and see for myself. Please people, you are not them. Something that worked on someone as close as your sister might not work on you, as all of us are different. There are many factors that affect weight loss. So please, use your brains and don’t get influenced easily.
4. Doing it for others? Don’t!!!!!! If you want to lose weight, do it for YOURSELF. If you are overweight and comfortable about it, be oblivious about the world. People have to talk about something, its human nature. 60,000 thoughts in one day in human brain, how self-centred can we be?
5. You can’t decrease your food quantity at any cost? Then be happy and content in eating. Don’t complain that you want to lose weight. Being able to eat anything you want and not feel guilty about it is a heavenly feeling ladies and gentleman and if you have been able to develop that feeling I am so jealous of you.
6. Do you have will power? If YES, then GAME ON..!!!
Take your time, answer these questions for yourself. I am no expert in Nutrition, I am a normal person like you who wore loose clothes to hide my curves because I was not comfortable with them, hid behind people during photo sessions so that my entire frame didn’t get captured, tried yoga, aerobics and walking 10km/15000+ steps everyday but still couldn’t lose weight till I started controlling what I was eating. I didn’t starve myself which you will see in my subsequent blogs, I ate pizza’s, drank milkshakes, ate paranthas (Paranthas are Indian flat breads which are traditionally stuffed with fillings before being pan-fried) everything but still managed to lose weight and losing more just by controlling portions and managing calories.
Are you ready then? Feel free to leave comments if any.