Seriously, what are you thinking about right now? Because whatever you are thinking is becoming your reality, present and future. If you are thinking about the argument you had with your spouse last night, then more of that is what you are bringing upon yourself. If you are thinking about that dream job that you want, the dream job is what you are attracting. Sounds simple??!! Well “it is” and “it isn’t” at the same time. And in a way, I am glad we aren’t magicians, that just with a swish of a wand or nose twitch (like in Bewitched!!, a 70’s TV Show), our thoughts do not become a reality as soon as they pop up in our hyperactive mind.
Before we move forward, I would request you all to keep your “Rational, Intellectual mind which analyses everything to death” outside, for this one time. Can you?……Thank you! If you haven’t, well I can assure you that you are not wasting your time by reading further. The reason I am asking you to keep your rational mind aside is because that is your “Comfort Zone”, that is who you have become. There is a very thin line between healthy and destructive criticism. And if you are had been confident about your life, you wouldnt have been reading this right now. There is always more to learn.
Anyways, let’s get back to the agenda here. So our problem is to get rid of the unwanted doubts that our analytical mind generates:
- Don’t resist them. Stop fighting with them, because when you “Let In” the unwanted feelings these thoughts generate, you are giving more power to them and they will get back to you again and again. You will find yourself in the same unwanted situation again. Do not judge yourself or try to identify with them. Let them be.
- Think, but don’t think too much – You cannot have everything figured out. No one can. Don’t be hard on yourself. Its alright to not have all the answers. And most of the times, there is no answer. We just create problems which were not even there in the first place ;).
- Ego and thoughts – The moment we identify with our thoughts, we develop Ego. We start believing in every thought to be true and then those thoughts become us. We start letting irrelevant opinions or view points make us feel inferior or superior.
- Pay attention to your thoughts – That’s the toughest step. We are so used to thinking in an obsessive compulsive way that we do not even realise that we are thinking unnecesarily. So start paying attention!!. Do multiple checks on your thoughts in a day. Just see what you are thinking. Are the thoughts worth it? Will they give any positive results? Or are they just a waste of time and will make your life miserable?
- Distract yourself – When you have realised that you are having unnecessary thoughts, distract yourself. Look in your surroundings, think about your goals in life. The more you do this, the less space you are giving to the negative thoughts. Slowly, they will fade away, only to give space to more negative thoughts. Oh Yes, you read that correctly. Changing mindsets, thoughts, takes time. You have to persistently think positive thoughts for a long period of time to be successful and achieve your life goals, But you shall start appreciating the calmness of the mind from day 1 once you follow these steps.
Again, I am no expert. I struggle with unwanted negative thoughts everyday. Sometimes I hurt others too in the process. But we are all here to learn. Habit breaking is difficult but not im-possible.
Please leave your thoughts and comments.