It happens to the best of us: Sometimes it seems like our lives don’t matter. Whether you are in the depths of depression or have survived an assault on who you are, or even if you are just having a really bad day, sometimes it seems like, “My life doesn’t matter.” However: That thought is wrong. Your life does matter.
And do you know why your life is wonderful right now? Here’s why:
- There is food in your stomach. – The next time you eat something (which probably won’t be very far off), give thanks that every time you’re feeling hungry, you can eat at any time. There are many people around the world, for whom a full belly is a rarity. So remember to never take for granted the fact that for you, a hot dinner is never far away.
- You get to sleep every night in a warm and comfortable bed. – Not everyone gets to come home from a long, exhausting day and then throw themselves down onto their comfy bed. Again, this is something so simple and (to us) mundane, but when you really think about it – what would it be like to not have a bed to sleep in every night? For many that is a very real reality. So as you lay, tucked up and comfy in your bed tonight – take note of how good it feels.
- You are loved. – At times you may try to convince yourself otherwise, but there’s no denying it – there are people who love you. Be it family, friends, a partner, your co-workers or neighbors…you are loved…and this is arguably the most significant blessing in your life. Love is the very essence of life – so make sure to never squander or take it for granted.
- You have choices. – Perhaps the biggest luxury we take for granted in our modern society, is our freedom of CHOICE. What you want to do for a career…which passions you pursue…who you choose to love…when you have children…which area you live in…your education…our lives are entirely filled with choices.
- You have a roof over your head and security. – When you think about it, the roof over your head at night keeping you dry and safe is definitely something to smile about. You are protected from the elements, safe to sleep soundly in the protection of four walls. What’s not to appreciate?
- There is oxygen in your lungs. – An obvious one, but surely something to smile about? After all, without a continuous and fresh supply of oxygen, where would you be? Breathing is something we all take for granted, until perhaps, we aren’t able to any more. Plus, you can transform your entire day with a single breath.
So go on, celebrate this extraordinary gift that gets so little of our attention. Stay Happy. Stay Blessed. You are universal consciousness.